Kajaani, the green home of LUMI
Reducing CO2 emissions is a globally critical target, to which the location of the EuroHPC machines have a huge impact, as supercomputers consume plenty of electricity. CSC’s data center in Kajaani, the home of LUMI, is one of the most eco-efficient data centers in the world. The data center has an abundant supply of low-price and environmentally-friendly renewable power: LUMI’s energy consumption will be covered with power produced 100% with hydroelectricity. The benefits of the location also include close proximity and easy connectivity to district heating network: waste heat utilisation further reduces costs, and CO2 footprint. LUMI’s waste heat will account for about 20 percent of the district heating in the city of Kajaani and will substantially reduce the entire city’s annual carbon footprint: by 12,400 tons – an amount that equals the output from nearly 4000 passenger cars.
LUMI was ranked third on the Green500 list, published on 30 May 2022 and seventh on the Green500 list on 14 November 2022.
Promoting the European Green Deal
LUMI is built on world-class environmental sustainability and cost-efficiency. It helps the European ICT sector become greener and more cost-efficient, which is necessary to reach the EU’s ambitious climate targets and pave the way for the green transition.
With the smallest possible environmental burden and lowest cost for European taxpayers, LUMI is beyond compare.
Why is the CSC Kajaani data center an ideal place for supercomputers?
- Renforsin Ranta Business Park has ready-built electrical infrastructure up to 230 MW (110 kV-10 kV) and on-site national grid connection with access to 900 MW
- Abundant sources for 100% renewable, carbon-neutral energy (hydropower)
- Free cooling is possible all year round
- Possibility to utilize waste heat in the district heating network of Kajaani, this reduces total energy costs up to 40% and reduces CO2 emissions
- LUMI reserves ~6000m2 space with room at least for two additional same size projects, within the same building
- Extremely reliable power grid
- Kajaani is an operator-neutral location, and part of the Nordic research network. The area has multiple physical connectivity routes and is perfectly positioned for the “Far North Fibre project”
- High security and safety standards
- Fenced Renforsin Ranta business park offers ideal physical security with no natural risks & hazards for data center operations
Have a look at the video: CSC’s sustainable data center in Kajaani, Finland below and visit the CSC website for more information.
Leveraging the location
Finland is one of the best locations for data centers since it has low operating costs, safe environmental and political conditions as well as extremely high security status. Here are some of the key factors that give Finland its competitive edge:
- Total electricity cost for industries is one of the lowest in Europe
- Pioneer in telecommunication and internet technologies
- Ranked as the most stable and sustainable country in the world
- Ranked as the safest place for data centers in the EU and 4th safest in the world
- One of the safest and most reliable environments for storing and processing data
- Finland and Kajaani are low-risk areas in terms of geographical, weather, political and man-made risks